Wednesday, August 12, 2009

in summer, the song sings itself

“In summer, the song sings itself.” -William Carlos Williams

I don't know if it's just because I have more time to explore during the summer, free of academic commitments or tasks afterhours, but I seem to define my summers and my summer adventures through song. I always seem to discover new music and turn my new favorite tunes into mix CDs for my friends during the summer months.

It might also be because of my current musical interests, but folk, oldie, and bluegrass music seem to define summer to me. Some tunes I have been listening to and enjoying lately have been the Fleet Foxes, Blitzen Trapper (Portland band!!), and the Giving Tree Band (the philsophy behind this band is inspiring!) along with old favorites such as Old Crow Medicine Show, Cat Stevens, the Band, CCR, and Emmylou Harris.

Road trips also mean time and space for music exploration, delving into the depths of my ipod to discover and resdiscover tracks. I just returned yesterday from a delightful and relaxing family vacation/road trip. Last Thursday, Ann, Steve, Dylan, and his friend Philip and I hopped in the car and drove up I5 to Ashland, Or. The next day we were joined by Mom, Dad, Kevin, and Colin and we spent the next 3 days seeing theatre at the Shakespeare Festival, reexploring the town as we do every year, and in my case, spending money on gifts.

One of my biggest expenses, speaking of music, was a wonderful concert-sized ukulele! I am so excited to have a portable instrument like this aside from my large Martin guitar that is beautiful and smells nice but is also very heavy. It's also easier for my little fingers to find the right cords and sustain them on this little uke. I didn't buy it in Hawaii, but at least I am helping to support an independent music store in Ashland! Appropriately, it's named after one of my favorite "Band" songs...it's called "Cripple Creek Music Company." My stringed instrument career continues to grow! I've definitely been inflicted again with the creative bug! After being in Ashland and perusing artists' greeting cards, prayer flags, and musical talents, I want to write my own songs, record them collaboratively, create collage art, and write novels obsessively. I wish my summer allowed all that time but don't I always wish I lived two simultaneous lives?

We stopped for a night on the way back to the city in Arcata, CA Mecca for hippy and artistic-minded people like me. Steve is a Humboldt State alum and still has many college friends in the area. We had a fantastic time eating tacos and sharing stories with them in the evening and exploring the town the next day. I was lucky enough to find my heaven: Tin Can Mailman, one of the best and well-stocked used book stores I have ever seen aside from Powells! I was surprised to find a book I'd been looking for in SF book stores for weeks and lingered in the three aisles of nature-themed books. I could have spent a whole day in there and the staff was unusually well-read and very knowledgable about the stock! That's the kind of place I'd like to own. I would combine books with art and wrap it all up with good music and inspiring speakers.

Share your creative thoughts below!! I want to hear where your mind wanders...

No comments:

Post a Comment