Sunday, August 2, 2009

the sun's out again!

The foggy, dreary, chilly weather in San Francisco has driven me into a little cocoon of sorts, quenching my desire to write blog entries and post pictures. It's been bizarre hearing about the sweltering heat wave in the Northwest when I've been wearing tights and sweaters to work! But today the sun came out and we drove down to scorching hot Santa Clara to see the Earthquakes play the Sounders (the Sounders lost horribly 4-0 but I discover that Sounders fans are just as die-hard outside of the Emerald City. They may have been obnoxious but they are also insistent so I loved the chanting coming from their little section). Anyway, I think that it’s time to share my life and musings a little bit again.


Plus it’s Sunday. And Sundays are peaceful days. Days when we can reflect on our weeks, take a run in the late afternoon or in today’s case run up 700 of the Harry stairs, cook food leisurely, let our bodies relax in our chairs and just sit. Sit and eat healthy food. Sit and enjoy the company of family. Sit and enjoy a good movie. I have watched two really amazing movies this weekend that have made me think…those kinds of movies that reel through your mind constantly for the next couple days. One was “Slumdog Millionaire” which everyone but me had seen. A Hollywood movie that somehow, amidst such Oscar hype, remained authentic and caught the essence of a third world country and the push and pull of poverty, power, dominance, privilege, heartbreak, chance, and life path that exists in this world. As has most things these days, it has prompted me to think more deeply about what my post-college gap year will look like: where I will travel and where I want to serve. The second movie is called “Defiance.” A fantastically beautiful piece depicting bravery, community, brotherhood, strength, the human spirit, achieving the impossible…a true story set amidst the horrors of WWII about three brothers who somehow save 1,200 Jews by hiding in a Belarusian forest for two years. Incredible. I found myself grinding my teeth throughout, horrified even by the Hollywood depiction of war. I can’t even imagine the reality. War is never necessary but it seems as though it is always the option that is chosen whether that be because of human greed, revenge, pursuit of power, prejudice, or other extremely complicated factors. We humans are constantly learning, but I think that we all need to learn to be more compassionate. Of course, I say this theoretically…entirely easier said than done.


My cozy little corner of the world here on Sanchez St. has been fairly uneventful it seems, just chuggin along on this little summer train of mine. But actually quite a lot has happened since my last blog entry! Far too much to bore you with in a long entry…so many morsels that sometimes it feels as though I’m wading in goodness.

Here are a few highlights and reflections from the past few weeks:


-One free weekend before A/S/D returned…I explored the Haight, Golden Gate Park, and waited 40 minutes in the Mitchell’s throng for an ice cream cone. Spent most of this weekend on foot with my point and shoot in hand.


-Helped to facilitate a “Peace Studies” institute for 6 college students who have received grants from the Foundation to start peace projects at their schools. Two were from SU who happen to be two of my dearest friends… I had a blast being a participant, a tourist, and an intern all at the same time. Went to Alcatraz, visited grantees sites in the E. Bay and Peninsula, and was introduced to raw “live” vegan food at “CafĂ© Gratitude” and “Pena Pachamama,” an Organic Bolivian restaurant with fantastic live music. Wonderful to have a bit of home here too with Gordon and Sean.


-Attended SEF and Youth Service California’s annual retreat. Theme was “Peace, Service, and Spirituality.” Spent the weekend talking about these things, walking a labyrinth, kayaked, did yoga, and ate fantastic food. Five other SU people from the Center for Service came and added to my homesickness…so good to see familiar and loving faces. Came away feeling restored, replenished, inspired and rejuvenated as is typical with retreats.


Here are a few visuals if you’re interested:

Walking up to the Coit tower...the setting sun was reflecting off an office building through the fog

I stumbled across Buena Vista Park which satisfied my hunger for trees, hiking trails, urban staircases, and foliage made into peace signs

One of my group members reflecting at the retreat. Tomales Bay in the background...


No comments:

Post a Comment